This is our bronze project for Three Dimensional Design. We used a lost-wax process to get the final piece, so the way it worked was, we all made molds of various body parts (mine were three fingers, lips and tongue) in alginate (the stuff used for dental impressions), poured wax into those molds, and pieced the wax together. We then built a spruing system to vent in air, and built a ceramic shell over it. We burned the wax out in a kiln (I had to be the one to stick my head in it to move the molds around). We then poured the bronze and after it hardened, we cut and polished it to our liking.
This whole thing caused me to burn my fingers, get sprayed with metal shards, and was a generally painful experience for me, so I really hope everyone will enjoy it!